Saturday, January 8, 2011

Tangled in the Web

Well, I thought it would be a brilliant idea for me to learn to make a website over break.  A real, live, creative, coded, from-scratch website.  No templates or hand holding!

I figured Dreamweaver would be the natural choice.  It's Adobe, and goodness knows I love me some Adobe products.  And I already own the software.  Easy.

I got two books totaling 1800 pages between them.  I followed them and several online tutorials religiously, dreaming of the amazing interactive, graphically charged stuff I'd do ... rollover behaviors like highlighting and image swaps, hidden links, maybe even animations.

Well.  The books and tutorials are great for learning to make the very basic web page; Header, Footer, Column of links, and Content in the center (see this blog site for example).  But the fancy-dancy stuff ... continues to elude me.

I managed to get some image mapping figured out, at least, for my 'Homepage';


It's one png - I took a photo of a pile of my books, and photoshopped in the titles of the sections that would one day be pages on my site.  The image is mapped in Dreamweaver so that clicking the 'titles' leads ... well, for now, no where.

What I wanted was for the titles to highlight when the mouse hovered over them.  But it seems that when working with html, trying to place objects where you want them on a page is next to impossible.

Sigh.  Haven't given up quite yet ...

No comments:

Post a Comment