Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Polishing the Family Silver


My dad is a sailor. Actually he's a sailboat racer. In fact, he's a very, very good sailboat racer.

What I'm getting at is that I am now in possession of a number of discarded old sailing trophies, most of which are real silver.

I like to stick them here and there for shine and style -- one for gum & keys, one for ipod wires and spare mouses, etc.
(It's a grand finish for all my dear dad's hard work to be sure. ... Matey.)

Anyhoo, from time to time the stuff needs shining up.
It's easy.

Needed:
- a small, old cloth
- silver polish
- newspaper or anything you want to protect your working surface
- patience

I happen to have 'Gorham' brand polish:


With an index finger in the cloth, grab a gob of gook ...


Rub on. Watch black stuff rub off. Switch to clean section of cloth. Repeat.
For things with engraving or small detail, Q-tips - especially the kind that come to a point - are a good tool.


Before:


After:


A quick buff with a clean, dry bit of cloth will remove the last smudges.


Now that's a First-Place-Winner candle holder.

No comments:

Post a Comment